Spain court orders Dani Alves remanded in custody osex assau

Alaafin of Oyo passes away at 83, after over 50 years on the throne

Spain court orders Dani Alves remanded in custody on sex assault allegations

A Spanish court on Friday ordered Brazil defender Dani Alves to be held in custody without bail after he was arrested in Barcelona on allegations he sexually assaulted a woman.

Catalan regional police Mossos dEsquadra trucks leave the Ciutat de la Justicia courthouse in Barcelona on January 20, 2023. A Spanish court ordered Brazils defender Dani Alves to be held in custody without bail after he was arrested in Barcelona on allegations he sexually assaulted a woman. A Barcelona judge took the step after questioning the 39-year-old player regarding events that allegedly took place at a nightclub the court said in a statement. (Photo by Pau BARRENA / AFP)

A Spanish court on Friday ordered Brazil defender Dani Alves to be held in custody without bail after he was arrested in Barcelona on allegations he sexually assaulted a woman.

A Barcelona judge took the step after questioning the 39-year-old player regarding events that allegedly took place at a nightclub, the court said in a statement.

A source close to the dossier said the judge had taken the step which was requested by public prosecutors because the court considered there was a risk Alves would try to flee.

Alves, one of footballs most successful players, was taken into custody earlier on Friday after being summoned to a Barcelona police station and was then sent before the judge.

Catalan police said they received a complaint on January 2 from a woman who accused Alves of sexual assault.

The charge of sexual assault in Spain can mean anything from unsolicited and unwanted sexual groping to rape.

While police declined to give no details on the case, a source close to the investigation told AFP that Alves is accused of rape.

The woman reiterated her accusation before the judge on Friday, the source added.

The alleged sexual assault took place at a popular Barcelona nightclub overnight December 30-31, according to Spanish media reports.

Daily newspaper ABC said Alves allegedly put his hands inside the underwear of a woman without her consent while she was dancing with friends and then followed her into a toilet.

She is said to have informed security staff in the club, who activated Barcelona city councils protocol against assaults and sexual harassment.

Nothing wrong happened

A Barcelona court said earlier this month it had opened a probe into an alleged crime of sexual assault as a result of a complaint filed by a woman against a footballer.

Alves has confirmed he was at the nightclub at the time but has denied any wrongdoing, telling private Spanish television station Antena 3 earlier this month that he has never seen the woman before.

I was there, at that place, with more people having fun. Everybody knows I love to dance. Having a good time but without invading the space of others, the former Barcelona, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain player added.

His wife, Spanish model Joana Sanz, told Antena 3 in an interview on January 9 that her husband had gone out to dinner with friends, to disconnect a bit on December 30.

He went out to dance and try to enjoy music as he likes, period. Nothing wrong happenedI know how respectful he is, she added.

Alves, who now plays for Mexican side Pumas UNAM, was in Barcelona on holiday following his participation at the World Cup with Brazil in Qatar.

He was the oldest player to represent Brazil at the mens World Cup.

In a phenomenally successful career, Alves made 408 appearances for Barcelona, with 391 of those coming in his first spell from 2008-2016.

During that initial stint, he won six La Liga titles, three Champions League crowns and four Copa del Rey trophies.

Alves joined PSG in July 2017 on a free transfer after leaving Juventus and spent two years at the Qatari-owned French giants.

Relegation-threatened Everton have sacked manager Frank Lampard after less than a year in charge at the Goodison Park club, British media reported on Monday.

MOSOP decries mismanagement of Ogonis natural resources

Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP) has decried the gross mismanagement of Ogonis hundred oil wells by multinationals to cause vast agricultural resources of indigenous communities to be destroyed by their activities, which resulted in massive poverty in the area. The group also described the communities as the most naturally endowed region

Father docked in Lagos over alleged rape of daughter

A 35-year-old father, Temitayo Bamiro, was docked at an Ojo Magistrates Court, Lagos on Monday for allegedly defiling his 13-year-old daughter. Bamiro pleaded not guilty to the one-count charge preferred against him. The prosecutor, Dr Simon Uche told the court that the defendant committed the offence on Jan. 7, at the Iba New Site in

JABU implores staff to explore opportunities in research, grants

The Vice Chancellor (VC) of Joseph Ayo Babalola University (JABU), Ikeji-Arakeji, Osun State, Professor Olasebikan Alade, has urged members of the staff of the institution to seize the opportunities that are inherent in winning grants. According to Alade, exploring such a window will enormously improve the quality of research work and as well place the

EU imposes new sanctions on Iran over protest crackdown

The EU on Monday placed 37 more Iranian officials and entities on an asset-freeze and visa-ban blacklist over Tehrans bloody crackdown on protesters.

Benzema buries World Cup woe with double strike in Real victory

Karim Benzema buried his World Cup nightmare with two late goals as Real Madrid defeated Valladolid 2-0 on Friday to go top of Spains La Liga.

Messi hails 2022 as year my dream came true

Lionel Messi signed off for 2022 by hailing the year when he won the World Cup as one he will never be able to forget. The Argentine captain is due back at Paris Saint-Germain at the start of the coming week after being granted extended leave following his Qatar 2022 heroics. His seven goals and

Barca chief Laporta says European Super League could start in 2025

Barcelona president Joan Laporta said Thursday he believes a European Super League could be up and running from 2025 if a key court ruling goes in the projects favour. A suit alleging football governing bodies UEFA and FIFA had abused their power when they threatened to expel clubs or players who joined a proposed Super

Xavi urges Barca to improve finishing as Lewandowski misses Atletico trip

Barcelona coach Xavi Hernandez urged his team to improve their finishing against Atletico Madrid on Sunday in La Liga, where they will be without top goalscorer Robert Lewandowski.

Italy coach Mancini grieves death of little brother Vialli

Roberto Mancini is grieving the loss of a man he considered his brother after Gianluca Viallis death following a long battle with pancreatic cancer.

Real Sociedad win at Almeria to keep pressure on Liga leaders

David Silva produced a masterclass to help third place Real Sociedad beat Almeria 2-0 on Sunday and provisionally cut the gap on league leaders Barcelona and Real Madrid to six points. The veteran Spanish playmaker, 37, capitalised on defensive confusion in the box to nip in and fire home the opener just after half-time. Former